Total Time 3 hrs 20 mins
Meal Type Lunch,Dinner
- 6 medium bell peppers, tops sliced off, cored, seeded
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 lb turkey, ground
- 1 Tbs basil, dried
- 2 tsp fennel seed, to taste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 (28) ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce gluten-free if needed
- 1/4 cups dried lentils
- 3 oz feta cheese divided
- Wash peppers, trim tops, core and seed. Lightly salt if desired.
- Chop onion, mince garlic.
- Stand peppers in the bottom of a large crockpot.
- Heat a sauté pan to medium-high. Add the olive oil, onions, garlic, and turkey. Cook until the onion is softened and the turkey is no longer pink.
- Add the basil, fennel seeds (to taste), salt, tomatoes, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir well to combine.
- Add the lentils. Stir well to combine everything, and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Let the meat, lentil mixture simmer for about 15 minutes, and then stir in half of the feta cheese.
- Spoon the meat-lentil filling into the bell peppers. Sprinkle the remaining feta cheese over the top of each pepper and place the tops on the peppers if using them.
- Cover the crockpot and let the peppers cook on low for about 3 hours, or until the peppers are tender.
- Cool any leftover peppers and place them in freezer bags or plastic containers to store in the freezer for up to 2 months.