Summer is the best time of the year to take advantage of the warm weather and get out and get active with your family. Greensboro is a great city with lots of outdoor activities that you and your kids can do this summer. Here I have listed a few ideas of places for you and your family to explore this summer.
First, why is physical activity important? Physical activity has numerous positive benefits on our health, so it is important that we find ways to stay active. Staying active does not mean we have to have an intense workout. Increasing physical activity could be as simple as going for a walk or bike ride.
Here are a list of ways physical activity causes positive effects on our health:
1. Helps to lose and maintain a healthy weight.
2. Reduces blood pressure.
3. Maintains healthy blood sugar levels.
4. Decreases cholesterol.
5. Improves blood flow.
6. Helps you live a longer, fuller life.
7. Decreases your chance of developing Type 2 Diabetes.
8. May reduce your chance of developing cancer.
9. Decreases your risk of developing osteoporosis later in life.
10. Reduces your risk of developing a chronic disease.
Local places to visit in Greensboro this summer:
During the months of May through August you can experience the lake at night. There are 3 options on the lake: by boat, by canoe or by kayak. All 3 options are available for rent or you can bring your own. Kayaking and Canoeing are great fitness ideas you can do while simultaneously enjoying the cool breeze on the water.
Women’s Morning Paddle: Lake Brandt hosts morning paddle boat tours for women. Tours depart from 5945 Lake Brandt Rd at 7:15 AM on the mornings of July 27, August 8 and 22. The cost of a solo kayak is $12, and $20 for tandem kayak. For more information or to reserve your spot call, 336-373-3741.
Since the summer of 2017, bright lime green bicycles have been spotted all around the city of Greensboro. These bicycles are a convenient low-cost way to stay fit this summer. All you have to do is locate a bike, download the free app on your phone, pay a small fee and go! The best part about using these lime bikes, is once you have completed your ride they do not have to be returned to a specific area. Once you are done with your ride, the bike can be left wherever you choose.
Greensboro is home to beautiful parks that are great for getting in light exercise this summer. You can choose to bike the park, or just take a light stroll through the parks. Here are a few parks here in Greensboro:
1. Greensboro Arboretum – Located at 401 Ashland Dr, Greensboro’s Arboretum is a 17 acre beautiful display of gardens and nature trails. During the months of May until August, you can experience the Arboretum from 8am until 8pm daily.
2. BurMil Park – Full of serene nature trails right next to the water, BurMil Park is located at 5834 Bur Mill Club Rd.
3. Guilford Courthouse National Military Park – Located at 2332 New Garden Rd, Guilford Courthouse National Military Park is full of history, landmarks and nature. You can simultaneously experience history while staying active. The park is free to all and open daily from 8:30 am to 5pm.