It’s that time of the year when we put away the oatmeal, crock pots, soups, and heavier comfort foods for the cooler summer foods like fruit salads, smoothies, yogurt, ice cream, and salads! Salads are a perfect summer lunch option that can be light in calories and fat yet packed full of nutrients. The key to salads is to get variety so you don’t get burned out. Here are some essential tips for sensational salads:
* Don’t be afraid to mix your greens. Try a good mix of romaine, spring mix, kale, or spinach for a different taste.
* Protein is essential part of the salad so you don’t get hungry an hour later. Good protein choices can include tuna, grilled chicken, ham, turkey, beans, eggs, or lentils.
* Add some vegetables that you normally wouldn’t eat in other ways such as beets, peppers, edamame to help vary your color of veggies and make your salads as bright in color as possible.
* Try adding a grain to the salad such as barley or quinoa.
* Fruits can add an extra sweetness with a more natural sugar so top your salad with blueberries, strawberries, mandarin oranges, or chopped apples.
* Choose the cheese with a stronger flavor like feta or parmesan so you can get more flavor with less.
If you don’t feel like prepping the salad yourself, check out the closest grocery store for a salad bar that you can be a less expensive option than ordering out at a restaurant. Sometimes the best salads are the ones that you don’t have to prepare yourself!