Pasta Fagioli Soup
*This recipe can be modified to be vegetarian by leaving out the ground beef
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 pound lean ground beef
½ small onion chopped
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
3 garlic cloves minced
2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (fire roasted is my preference)
2 tsp sugar
1 ½ tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
¾ tsp dried thyme
½ tsp dried majoram
1 cup dry ditalini pasta
1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in ground beef and onion and cook until beef is cooked through.
- Drain fat from ground beef and then add beef to crock pot.
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in the same skillet and then add carrots, celery and garlic. Cook on medium heat for about 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add carrot mixture to the crock pot and then add remaining ingredients except pasta.
- You can water as needed to get the soup to the desired consistency.
- Cook on low for 4 hours. In the last hour of cooking, add the pasta to the soup and stir.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.