I am always excited when my week to write lines up with a food-fun holiday! It is hard to believe that Independence Day is rounding the bend. Whether you travel far or near, most people will find a grill and enjoy some type of BBQ. Hopefully, near a body of water or a pool! This year make the most of your holiday by preparing simple and healthy festive foods.
Clearly our theme colors for the 4th are red, white, and blue. How fitting that this is also berry season. Definitely put strawberries and blueberries on your list! Other great red foods include tomatoes and bell pepper. Whites can show up in cabbage, or Granny Smith Apples, potatoes, or jicama. And blues are abundant in berries, but you can also use dark purple cabbage or heirloom potatoes.
This week, I have selected 2 very simple recipes that use healthy ingredients so you can celebrate big, but stay true to your healthy eating plan. Enjoy these additions to your menu and stay healthy and true for the red, white, and blue!
Red, White, & Blue Slaw Salad
This healthy and easy RED, WHITE & BLUE Slaw Salad is the perfect addition to any summer BBQ! July 4th and Memorial Day are the perfect holidays for this festive and crowd-pleasing salad. This patriotic homemade salad is packed with whole foods such as crunchy cabbage, sweet blueberries, delicious red bell pepper, and tart apple. Bring the BEST clean eating and gluten-free coleslaw recipe to your next potluck! Find more “healthified” recipes at groundedandsurrounded.com.
* 16oz bag of coleslaw or 7 cups shredded cabbage
* 1cup blueberries
* 1 red bell pepper, julienned
* 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped into matchsticks
* 1/4cup sliced almonds for garnish
* 1/4cup mayonnaise
* 2Tbsp red wine vinegar
* 2Tbsp lemon juice
* 2Tbsp honey
* 1Tbsp water
* 1tsp sea salt
* 1/8tsp black pepper
1. Add all ingredients except sliced almonds to a large bowl.
1. Put all ingredients in a blender or Magic Bullet and blend until combined.
1. Pour dressing over salad and gently mix. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to mingle.
2. Sprinkle the top of the salad with sliced almonds when ready to serve! Enjoy!
1 Angel Food Cake, cut into cubes
1 Quart Vanilla Greek Yogurt
2 Pints Strawberries, trimmed and sliced
2 Pints Blueberries
In a glass bowl or trifle dish layer cake, yogurt and berries, alternating red and blue. Top with yogurt, cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours. Add fresh berries on top to serve.